External changes and their impact on type 1 diabetes can be unsettling and cause stress and anxiety. It is important to be aware that stress can make living with type 1 diabetes more difficult and you may notice some behaviour changes in your child during this time. Stress can cause changes in blood glucose levels, and having management strategies is extremely important.
Tips to support stress and uncertainty:
- Take the time to help identify what’s causing your child stress
- Learn what they know, provide accurate information in an age-appropriate way and teach your child good hygiene practices so that they can protect themselves
- Ask them how they are feeling
- Listen to what they are excited or worried about
- Be aware of your own behaviour; be calm and positive when talking about returning to school
- Reassure them that being at school is safe and remind them what they love about school